Sunday, November 25, 2012

Let it be...Somehow

"If you love somebody, let them go. If they come back, they were always yours. If they don't, they never were" 

Over the last few days I've heard say, over and over again, that if you truly love something you must let it go. I find that when I am supposed to learn a lesson, it pops up in unexpected places. Like this, when two friends, a coworker and my partner all told me anecdotes that held the moral that in order to know love, you had to release it.
I'm not really good at letting things go. My tendency is toward obsessing, over-analyzing, and then fitting the result in a neat and tidy mental box. Releasing my death grip on the future is next to impossible for me. 
This is part of why Peace Corps holds such allure for me. There is absolutely no way for me to know what that time will look like. Despite all of the research I've done, all of the youtube videos I've watched and Twi phrases I've repeated, I have no idea what Ghana will be like. I don't know the things I will learn about myself, I don't know what I'll eat, I don't know what I'll wear, I don't know who I'll know. I believe that's a lot of what my life is about; pushing my limits and doing the things I am most afraid of. But this doesn't make me less afraid right now. 
It's hard for me, but I am trying to release my grip on the things that are the most important to me and allow the universe to show me what my path will be. And who I will share it with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment