Monday, January 7, 2013

The Discomfort of Generosity; Or, How to say Thank You When You Really Really Mean It

It's been a challenge lately to manage the generosity of my fellows. People who I am close to have given to me for this trip, and I've found it difficult to accept. Perhaps it is an Americanism; everything that I've learned of Ghana suggests that giving, and graciously receiving, are a huge part of the culture. My friends give to me because they believe in what I am doing, but I feel almost as though I am pulling the wool over their eyes; don't they realize that this adventure is one of the most selfish things I've ever done?
Some things are easier to accept. I can welcome pneumonic tricks to remember the language, promises to remain friends, advice for international travel or cultural customs, and fold these like love notes into my pockets. It is the gifts of material, rather than sentimental, heft that are difficult. I respond to these like an ungrateful child; discomfort manifesting as a tepid thank you and brisk exit.
So, my generous cohort, my giving colleagues, my gracious friends and my wonderful family; Thank you. Thank you and thank you and thank you. It's only because of the strength I get from those I love that I am able to begin this experience. It's only with the love that I receive from you that I am able to set my sights high and know you are with me.
While I may not be able to properly express it in person, I am overwhelmed with your kindness.

1 comment: