Sunday, December 23, 2012

The Next Step

It seems like so recently that I received the news of my destination. The steps that I've taken are huge, particularly for someone as stubbornly independent as I tend to be. I am now sharing my space with my partner. It was a prickly transition, but surprisingly easy for me now. At first, I could not come to terms with not being able to do my laundry whenever I want, or never washing dishes, or any of the other gross things I just accept about my apartment. It was nearly impossible for my mind to accept that she has her own rules, and her own way of living in her space. While I went into it knowing that I was going to be her guest, I suppose I thought it would be a situation where, after a few weeks of give and take, I would be able to run the show. This, of course, is not the case. Living according to someone else's rules is a challenge, but nothing compared to the challenges I'm looking at in the next few months. I'm still learning to take things slowly, to appreciate the moment, and to take the time to sleep like a starfish when I have the bed to myself.

"Be not afraid of growing slowly, be only afraid of standing still."
-Chinese Proverb

No comments:

Post a Comment